Last weekend, Fi & I had tickets to go watch a practice-run of a ceremony called
Trooping the Colour, which is a parade of sorts performed every year to commemorate the
Queen's official birthday. The practice-run takes place on the weekend before & includes all the pomp & circumstance of the real deal, save the royal family, who only attend the actual Trooping. It's a good way for those of us in the general public to get a peek at all the stuff. We had to apply for tickets months in advance & dress up in formal wear; it's a very big deal.
The ceremony itself consists various British Military regiments marching on a ground called the
Horse Guards Parade.
The regiments are foot guards from the
Household Division, the
Household Cavalry, &
Royal Artillery, each fully accoutred & spit-shined to a gleam.
There's a horse-mounted band, which plays during all the routines, so the marches are coordinated with appropriate tunes for the occasion.
The trooping's definitely a great spectacle. I did my best to take a lot of photographs, though I don't really have a camera setup appropriate for such an event, so I've had to do quite a bit of cropping. In any case, you'll get the general idea.
It was lots of fun to see. I'd def go back next year. If you're interested in coming along, I'm given to understand it's held at the same time every year. Let us know far in advance, so we can try to get tickets.
Wow, that looks pretty neat and quite unlike anything I've seen before, especially when it comes to celebrating birthdays. We'll reserve four tickets for next year. :) (I wish).
ReplyDelete